The Highland Redevelopment Commission, a five member board appointed by the Town Council, is responsible for the redevelopment of Highland. This involves land, structure, and infrastructure improvement as well as business attraction and retention. The School Town of Highland has also apppointed two co-commissioners who serve on the commission as non-voting members.
The members of the Redevelopment Commission are:
Vice President—Greg Kuzmar
Incorporated on April 4, 1910, the town of Highland, especially the downtown area, has gone through many transitions. Once a solidly retail corridor, the downtown has become a mixture of service and restaurants, with fewer retail shops. The Commission, in its efforts to increase downtown foot traffic and encourage commercial development, began an extensive infrastructure and beautification program that was completed in 2003. Since that time, the Redevelopment Commission has worked on a number of planning projects to prepare not only the downtown, but the entire Redevelopment Area for redevelopment.
The Redevelopment Commission took the lead in organizing the Highland Main Street Bureau. Efforts are underway to increase the membership with residents and business persons in town. Those interested in becoming a member need to fill out an application and return in to the Redevelopment Director. Highland Main Street eill focus on restoring facades, filling vacant buildings, encouraging the retention and preservation (when possible) of the Mid-Century Modern design that is part of our design guidelines, increasing art in the downtown, encouraging communication among downtown business owners, and attracting and reataining business. The Commission, through Highland Main Street, has provided monies for a Facade Improvement Grant program and a Pop-Up Gallery Event.